Wednesday, March 22, 2017

3/22/2017

This week I spent time turning shafts on the lathe to press fit gear onto for a gear box. It took some time to get the proper shape. Also there was a lot of time spent redesigning the brake, sizing springs and some wire to make the thing work. I believe the redesign will be fore effective than the caliper and master cylinder system that I originally though of.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017

3/15/2017

So this week, I went through a redesign of the brake and started to machine parts for the bogie. Most of that parts that I made currently were for the steering subteam as well as lathing the main wheel shaft.

Wednesday, March 8, 2017

3/8/2017

This week was mostly dedicated to development of the brake and its design in solidworks. Mostly working on the placement and the movement of the brake actuator.  As well as a bit of research as to where I could pick up a master cylinder and was planning to visit a junkyard today in order to scrap a master cylinder from an available car.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

2/22/2017

Hey, I haven't done much this week due to some complications on my computer, I was attempting to reinstall solidworks on my computer and am having a bit of difficulty with the licensing, therefore I started to redesign the brake within creo just so I could keep moving forward with the design of the brake.

Wednesday, February 8, 2017

2/8/2016

This is the first post of the new semester. For this reason I will overview what has happened over break.
Due to the initial decline of our BOM, we were asked as a group to look into finding a new motor that could possibly be provided from Lin Engineering or Oriental Motors. Our contact at Oriental motors no longer worked there and we were referred to a different contact without much of a headway for getting some motors donated. I then contacted Lin Engineering and Yaskawa to see if they would be able to provide stepper motors and controllers. Unfortunately, those two companies were unable to provide anything as well as Oriental, so I am at an indecision with propulsion.
As far as braking goes, I have looked through my personal stock of motors and found a suitable stepper to actuate the brake. I am still working to develop a small gear set for it to increase the torque and increase the force on the master cylinder that I will use to actuate the pistons in the brake calipers. Where the calipers will still have to be altered in order to fit around the rail.
Additionally, other work that I did over break was to waterjet out the main frame of the bogie before the waterjet at techshop went down. Making sure to get most of the pieces made before to make fabrication easier down the line.

Wednesday, December 7, 2016

12/7/2016

For this week, most of my time was spent cading new mounts for both the motor and the brake. the brake is now facing between the two bogie, where the most mounting space is available. The motor mount takes advantage of the pre existing bolt between the two bogies which are already used for the wheel bearings. The mount itself bolts together using 1/4-20 bolts and I am currently working to see the tear out failure for these bolts. Also, I 3d printed these mounts so they can be fixed to the pre-existing model that Michael had cut out.


I should also mention that the mount for the brake with going to be made out of 1inch tubing, using the same material as the bogie cross-members

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

11/30/16

I cannot say that I have been doing much for the project over the past few weeks. What I have been doing is thinking about how to mount a caliper large enough to clamp down on the rail from the bogie to act as a brake. Knowing that we are limited on fund, I ask some family about any parts that were available for making the braking system. As luck may have it, they can provide us with some calipers and master cylinders from older cars that can be used on the bogie. The downside is that there is no way to tell how large they are or what process will need to take place to make them work for the system. For that reason, only rough estimates can be made about the size and the orientation of these caliper parts until they can be acquired. Otherwise, the mounting of the motor need some reworking to be more effective given the limited space.
 3d printed models of the motor and the bevel gear have been made in order to have an object to compare with the bogie team’s rapid prototype. Providing a better idea of where the motor will ultimately be placed as well as where a caliper can be mounted without being in the way of other crucial components.

Although this is not easy to say. I am not sure what I can do about braking at the moment. I can pick up any parts that my dad can provide and use them in the system accordingly. Yet, the first chance that I will get to acquire those part will be over winter break, so the design for that may be held off until then.